John Bright No. 1 Iron Bridge

For more details on this bridge, please
visit our companion Bridgehunter.com website
2 mi. (3.2 km) NE of Carroll on Havensport Rd., Carroll, Ohio

Wrought-iron through truss bridge relocated to the Ohio University-Lancaster campus

Photos 

Oblique

Photo taken by Anthony Dillon in June 2008

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The John Bright No. 1 Iron Bridge was built by the Hocking Valley Bridge Works (HVBW) of Lancaster, Ohio, probably in 1884-5. It is one of a relatively small number of surviving bridges to have been built by this local firm. The suspension truss design is very unusual, and is only known to have been used in a few bridges in Ohio by three bridge builders. There are some similarities in this bridge to several patented designs, but it most closely resembles Archibald McGuffie's 1861 patent for "Improvement in Construction of Bridges." The bridge is very similar in design to the nearby John Bright No. 2 Covered Bridge (see HAER No. OH-45). The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. -- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER OH-44)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 20, 1978
Reference number
78002060
Architectural style
Other architectural type; One-Span Steel Eye-Bar
Areas of significance
Engineering; Transportation
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Road-related
Current function
Road-related
Period of significance
1800-1824

Update Log 

  • July 16, 2010: New photos from Anthony Dillon

Sources