Bridge No. 5
NW of La Crosse, La Crosse, Wisconsin
Riveted Warren pony truss relocated here in 1996 from Pierce County, Wisconsin
Barrel Shot Looking West
This bridge is 60 feet long and 17 feet wide.
Riveted bridges were built in sections at the factory and shipped to site. The sections were then assembled on site. When this bridge was replaced in Pierce County, it was relocated here to replace the wooden kingpost truss bridge that was removed in 1986.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in July 2015
+44.02336, -91.3289544°01'24" N, 91°19'44" W
Alexander McGilvray saw an opportunity in 1854 and launched a ferry across the Black River. In 1892, the county built a steel bridge across the river, ending the ferry service. Since McGilvray Road went through backwaters of the Black River and a slough, six wooden bridges were built. The moist environment wrecked wooden bridges quickly, so between 1905 and 1908, a series of five bowstring truss bridges were built with one wooden bridge left behind, a kingpost truss that was removed in 1986.
The road was closed in 1948 due to flooding, and in 1954 the steel truss bridge was removed. This Warren Pony Truss was relocated here in 1996 from Pierce County to replace the wooden kingpost truss that was removed in 1986.
The maintenance of the old bridges is accomplished with volunteer labor, the Friends of McGilvray Road in partnership with the Wisconsin DNR.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 27, 1980
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Other architectural type; King post Bridge
- Areas of significance
- Engineering; Transportation
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic functions
- Road-related; Pedestrian related
- Current function
- Pedestrian related
- Periods of significance
- 1900-1924; 1875-1899
- Significant years
- 1892; 1902
- July 17, 2015: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Added Description and Added Photos