Bridge No. 6
NW of La Crosse, La Crosse, Wisconsin
Sixth of six bridges on McGilvray Road
Approaching from the East
This is a single span, bowstring truss bridge and is the last bridge on the road. It is 50 feet long and 17 feet wide.
The "big bridge" that crossed the Black River and completed the road, was removed in 1954. There is a short abandoned section of McGilvray Road in Trempealeau County, but the rest of McGilvray Road is still in use.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in July 2015
+44.02404, -91.3356044°01'27" N, 91°20'08" W
Alexander McGilvray saw an opportunity in 1854 and launched a ferry across the Black River. In 1892, the county built a steel bridge across the river, ending the ferry service. Since McGilvray Road went through backwaters of the Black River and a slough, six wooden bridges were built. The moist environment wrecked wooden bridges quickly, so between 1905 and 1908, a series of five bowstring truss bridges were built with one wooden bridge left behind.
The road was closed in 1948 due to flooding, and in 1954 the steel truss bridge was removed. This is the last of five bowstring truss bridges that remain in place. The maintenance of the old bridges is accomplished with volunteer labor, the Friends of McGilvray Road in partnership with the Wisconsin DNR.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 27, 1980
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Other architectural type; Bowstring Arch Truss Bridge
- Areas of significance
- Engineering; Transportation
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic functions
- Road-related; Pedestrian related
- Current function
- Pedestrian related
- Periods of significance
- 1900-1924; 1875-1899
- Significant years
- 1892; 1902
- July 17, 2015: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Added Description and Added Photos