Turn-of-River Road Bridge

Abandoned
Also known as: Old North Stamford Road Bridge
Old N. Stamford Rd. at Rippowam River, Stamford

Photos 

CT 35M 1

Photo taken by Chester Gehman in May 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Built by the Berlin Iron Bridge Co., this bridge has been out of service since the late 1930's when Turn Of The River Road was severed by construction of the Merritt Parkway. Although a short bridge at 53', its 21' width would accomodate 2-way traffic.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 31, 1987
Reference number
87000798
NR name
Turn-of-River Bridge
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Lenticular pony truss
Areas of significance
Engineering; Transportation; Politics/Government
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Road-related
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1892; 1893

Update Log 

  • May 24, 2015: Updated by Chester Gehman: Fixed pin location, added description and photos

Sources