Inglenook Aqueduct

Also known as: Wiconisco Canal Aqueduct #3, Powell Creek Bridge
LR 1/TR-147 over Powell's Creek, Inglenook, Pennsylvania

Three-span stone arch bridge over Powell Creek on PA 147

Photos 

Inglenook Aqueduct #3

Taken during a joint field trip of the Pennsylvania Canal Society and the Canal Society of New Jersey.

Photo taken by Chester Gehman May 7, 1983

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Wiconisco Canal ran from the east end of the Clark's Ferry Bridge northward to Millersburg on the east bank of the Susquehanna River. Aqueduct #3 was completed in 1840, but did not carry water or freight until the completion of the canal by the Wiconisco Canal Company in 1844. The Pennsylvania Canal Company, a Pennsylvania Railroad subsidiary, operated the canal from 1872 until a flood in 1889 destroyed much of the canal, and it was abandoned in 1890. Some time after, the aqueduct was modified for vehicle traffic.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1988
Reference number
88000823
NR name
Bridge in Reed Township
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Multi-span stone arch
Areas of significance
Engineering; Transportation
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Road-related
Current function
Road-related
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1860

Update Log 

  • January 4, 2021: New photos from Chester Gehman
  • January 4, 2021: Updated by Chester Gehman: Added description; corrected build date.
  • December 30, 2011: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources