Sutliff Bridge

Sutliff Rd. over Cedar R., Iowa City, Iowa

Photos 

Image

Photo taken by Dave King

Enlarge

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Description 

Based on current findings from the Iowa Department of Transportation's truss bridge inventory, Sutliff's Ferry Bridge is believed to be the longest (approximately 825 feet) and oldest, Parker truss span presently known on the state's secondary road system. It was built to facilitate farm-to-market travel, at the site of a ferry that had operated from the early 1840's until the late 19th century. Sutliff's Ferry Bridge was designed by Johnson County Engineer George W. Wynn. Steel, supplied by Jones & Laughlin Steel Corp. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, was fabricated by Fair-Williams Bridge and Manufacturing Co. of Ottumwa, Iowa. Contractor for erection was J.R. Sheely & Co., of Des Moines, Iowa. -- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER IA-6)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 15, 1998
Reference number
98000520
Architectural style
Other architectural type; pinned Parker through truss
Area of significance
Engineering
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Road-related
Current function
Road-related
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1897; 1898

Update Log 

  • September 15, 2014: New photos from Ray Kasal
  • May 10, 2013: New photos from Dave King

Sources