Okoboji Bridge

180th Ave. over branch of Little Sioux R., Milford, Iowa

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Built in 1929, the Okoboji Bridge is one of only four cantilevered concrete girders known to remain in use on Iowa's highways. Employed where a simpler, less costly steel stringer span would have sufficed, the bridge represents an affinity for concrete construction and an uncharacteristic commitment to aesthetics on the part of the Iowa State Highway Commission. The structure is also noteworthy as the latest in a series of spans over the strait between East and West Okoboji Lakes - the oldest bridged crossing in Dickinson County. The present Okoboji Bridge and its five timber and steel predecessors represent a continuum of bridge construction stretching back more than 130 years, providing insight into the evolution of bridge technology. -- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER IA-40)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 25, 1998
Reference number
98000789
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Pratt/Warren pony truss
Area of significance
Engineering
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Road-related
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1909

Update Log 

  • February 12, 2018: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Corrected location
  • February 12, 2018: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources