Georgia State Capitol

Capitol Sq., Atlanta, Georgia

Photos 

Georgia State Capitol

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This is the fourth capitol building owned by the State and has been in continuous use since its completion in 1889. Located atop a hill near downtown Atlanta, it previously contained the Atlanta City Hall and Fulton County Courthouse as well as one of the first city parks in Atlanta. The Capitol is a monumental classical dome and columned structure with a convincing atmosphere of architectural purity and design integrity. Several interior renovations have caused the loss of historic fabric, most notably the State Library, but overall the original design has not been altered. The exterior has been well-maintained and the building's monumentality was enhanced in 1959 when Georgia gold leaf was applied to the surface of the dome and lantern, adding a flourish to the somber, Neo-Classical-Renaissance Revival building. Today the grounds are filled with statuary and other memorials, as well as extensive landscape plantings. Still used as a state house, the Georgia State Capitol continues to be the prime architectural symbol of the state, representing over 100 years of colorful history. It has been a popular attraction for generations of Georgians and their visitors. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS GA-2109)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 9, 1971
Reference number
71001099
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival; Victorian: Renaissance
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Capitol
Current function
Capitol
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1889

Update Log 

  • July 28, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • November 1, 2013: New photo from Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources