215 Jefferson St., Waupaca, Wisconsin
A Greek Revival-style, commercial building built in 1862
Overview Looking Southeast
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in July 2016
+44.35675, -89.0835244°21'24" N, 89°05'01" W
Originally located on E. Union Street, about a hlaf a block away. The building was moved here about 1900 to make room for a larger building.
The building served as the office of the privately owned Mead Bank, the first bank in Waupaca. Henry C. Mead, the early banker who constructed this building, was considered an odd duck because he had no family. Fiscal dealings and the back seemed to be his entire life.
On October 8, 1882, Mead did not appear at a nearby hotel, his customary location for meals. An employee of the hotel went to check on him. She found his body in a pool of blood, his office ransacked and cash missing.
The murder of Mead was never solved and remains a mystery to this day. Although the building has served several businesses, from bank to parts department of a local car dealership, it appears much the way it did in 1862.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 30, 2003
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
- Areas of significance
- Architecture; Commerce
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic function
- Financial institution
- Periods of significance
- 1850-1874; 1875-1899
- August 2, 2016: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos