Coleman-Banks House

Also known as: James Oliver Banks House
430 Springfield Rd., Eutaw, Alabama

A historic Greek Revival style house in Eutaw, Alabama.

Map 

Description 

The Coleman-Banks House, also known as the James Oliver Banks House, is a historic Greek Revival style house in Eutaw, Alabama, USA. It was built in 1847 by George W. Shauver. It was purchased by the Rhoda Coleman in 1857 and then by James Oliver Banks in 1890. The house is a two-story structure with four monumental Ionic columns spanning the front portico. It features elaborate Greek Revival doorways in the central bay of the front facade. The house was recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1934. The Greene County Historical Society purchased the house in 1968. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 18, 1970, due to its architectural significance.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 18, 1970
Reference number
70000102
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant years
ca. 1847; 1848
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • May 25, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources