National Farmers' Bank

Also known as: Northwestern National Bank of Owatonna, National Farmers' Bank
101 N. Cedar St., Owatonna, Minnesota

The most beautiful of Louis Sullivan's "Jewel Box" bank designs.

Photos 

Overview Looking Northeast

The bank lobby is housed in the cube-shaped portion of the back, the offices are located in the extension to the east of the cube.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Small in scale, the National Farmer's Bank (1907-08) is admirably adapted to its purpose: In addition to the banking rooms, there is a farmer's exchange room intended for the private business or social transactions of the bank's clients; a women's parlor; a private consultation room for conference with the bank's officers; and the president's office. Embellished with magnificent ornament, this is a superb example of the design partnership of Louis Henry Sullivan and George Grant Elmslie. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, January 7, 1976

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 26, 1971
Reference number
71000441
Architectural styles
American Movement; Other architectural type; Sullivanesque
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Financial institution
Current function
Financial institution
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1906; 1908

Update Log 

  • August 1, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • August 12, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos

Sources