Commercial Bank and Banker's House

Also known as: First Church of Christ,Scientist, and Banker's House
206 Main St. and 107 Canal St., Natchez, Mississippi

Photos 

Banker's House, Commercial Bank

1. Northwest front

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

The First Church of Christ (Scientist), a National Historic Landmark, is a superb example of Greek Revival architecture, dominated by an academic Ionic portico. Originally built for the Commercial Bank of Natchez in 1836, the church retains a great deal of the building's original fabric, including two bank vaults. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MS-190)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 30, 1974
Reference number
74002252
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Financial institution
Current functions
Religious structure; Single dwelling
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
ca. 1833

Update Log 

  • April 4, 2021: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources