Canal Dime Savings Bank

Also known as: Eckerd`s Drug Store
1530 Main St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

Canal Dime Savings Bank, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Columbia’s only surviving example of the Richardson Romanesque style of architecture, the Canal Dime Savings Bank building was constructed sometime between 1892 and 1895. The unaltered second and third floor façade is typical of the nineteenth century style with rough cut granite, rounded arches, and an asymmetrical design with a heavy sculptural quality. The architectural firm of W. B. Smith Whaley and Company designed the building at 1530 Main Street for the Canal Dime Savings Bank. The design could be the work of either Whaley, a prominent Columbia architect, builder and cotton industrialist, or his partner, Gadsden E. Shand. Subsequently owned by the Loan and Exchange Bank of South Carolina, the State Bank and Trust Company, and the People’s Bank of Columbia, the building was acquired by Eckerd’s Drug Store in 1936. It is a three-story brick building with a granite façade and red barrel tile roof. The building’s first floor, totally altered after 1936, originally featured a slightly projecting arched doorway with a high entablature on its right side. Listed in the National Register November 25, 1980. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 25, 1980
Reference number
80004468
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Financial institution
Current function
Specialty store
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
ca. 1895

Update Log 

  • October 7, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources