State Bank of Wisconsin
Also known as: Bank of Milwaukee Block, Insurance Exchange Building210 E. Michigan St., Milwaukee, Wisconsin
An early example of Italian revival in this region, but with unusual, highly original ornament
Overview Looking Northeast
That's the Home Office, Northwestern Mutual Life to the right side of the photo.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2014
+43.03746, -87.9087443°02'15" N, 87°54'31" W
Built in 1856-1857, this building, which has very original ornament, is representative of an early period in Milwaukee's history.
The building faces south. It has a limestone facade with brick rear portions, a rectangular plan 45' wide (the facade on East Michigan Avenue) by 42' deep, and Is four stories high plus an elevated basement.
The facade, heavily membered and ornamented, is divided into three bays by rusticated pilasters that are partially vermiculated. There are moulded cornices between the floors and a deeply projecting roof cornice with dentil course and pediment over the center bay.
The windows and entrance have deeply projecting, carved stone frames with pediments of various types and heavy foliated and figured ornament.
Prepared by Henry C. Edwards, Architect
National Park Service
At one time, a bridge across the alley to the east connected the Insurance Exchange Building to the Home Office of the Northwestern Mutual Life
building. NML moved out of the building in 1914, the bridge was removed in 1917. -Historic American Buildings Survey HABS No. WIS-268, Home office, Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 8, 1984
- Reference number
- Architectural styles
- Victorian: Renaissance; Other architectural type; Italian Renasissance Revival
- Areas of significance
- Commerce; Architecture
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic functions
- Financial institution; Business
- Current functions
- Business; Financial institution
- Period of significance
- Significant years
- 1856; 1858; 1865
- May 24, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
- April 8, 2014: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Added Photos and Added Description
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com
- National Register database - Reference number 84003742