Farmer's Bank

Also known as: McCormick Messenger Building
Main St., McCormick, South Carolina


Farmer's Bank

Photo taken by Michael Miller in January 2015



Street View 


The Farmer’s Bank building is a two-story frame and masonry building constructed ca. 1911. The storefront is composed of large frame and glass double doors, plate glass display windows and three-light transom. The storefront is encompassed by a large rounded arch with radiating voussoirs and quoins. On the second story are two windows with jack arching and keystones. The windows are one-over-one sash with decorative “English Jack” design sidelights and transoms. Above the windows is a sheet metal cornice with dentils. The interior has retained its original staircase and bank vault. The Farmer’s Bank was organized in McCormick in 1907 and was one of two banks which operated in McCormick in the early 1900s. The original bank building was constructed in 1908 and stood until the fire of February 1910, which destroyed most of the commercial area. This building was completed in 1911 and reflected the classical influences of the period through its detailing. By 1916 the bank had assets of $25,000 and was a leading financial institution of the newly formed county. Listed in the National Register December 12, 1985. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 12, 1985
Reference number
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Financial institution
Current function
Period of significance
Significant year
ca. 1911

Update Log 

  • January 23, 2015: New photo from Michael Miller
  • September 25, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 25, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller