Second Bank of the United States

420 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Photos 

Second Bank of the United States

1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Frederick D. Nichols, Photographer June, 1939 GENERAL VIEW FROM SANSON STREET.

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Completed in 1824, this huge temple structure, one of the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture in the country, was designed by William Strickland. Chartered by Congress in 1817, the Second Bank of the United States became, under the leadership of Nicholas Biddle, an effective regulator of the national economy; however, following the determined leadership of President Andrew Jackson, Congress allowed the bank's charter to expire in 1836. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 4, 1987

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 4, 1987
Reference number
87001293
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Economics; Law; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Financial institution
Current function
Park
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1825-1849
Significant years
1824; 1836

Update Log 

  • June 21, 2012: New Street View added by wdzinc

Sources