General Building

Also known as: Tennessee General Building, Bank of Knoxville Building
625 Market St., Knoxville, Tennessee

Photos 

General building knoxville tn1.jpg

Designed by Barber & McMurry; now home to First Bank

Photo: Brian Stansberry / Creative Commons,"

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The General Building is a 15-story "L-shaped" building rising on the northwest corner of Church Avenue and Market Street. By 1958, a four-story annex had been added to the rear of the building, giving the first four stories a square shape, rather than an L-shape. The first three stories of the Church and Market facades are covered with a rusticated limestone veneer. All four corners are delineated by concrete quoins along the entire height of the building, and the roof is decorated with a terra cotta cornice.[1] The elevator penthouse atop the building typically bears the name of the anchor tenant (currently First Bank).

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 8, 1988
Reference number
88000174
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival; Victorian: Renaissance; Other architectural type; Second Renaissance Revival
Areas of significance
Commerce; Health/Medicine; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Financial institution; Business
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1926

Update Log 

  • February 12, 2021: New photo from Michael Miller
  • February 11, 2021: New photo from Michael Miller
  • June 6, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • October 25, 2015: Photo imported by pam phillips

Related landmarks 

Sources