Historic bank building, now serving as a loan office
"The Thompson Station Bank is a one-story brick commercial building constructed in 1913. On the main (east) facade is the original corner entrance with an original frame and glass door, four-light sidelights, and a two-light transom. At the corner of the building is a fluted cast iron column. Windows on the main facade have been bricked in and are ca.1950 one-over-one sash. At the roofline is a sheet metal cornice with dentil molding. Windows on the other facades are original arched one-over-one sash. The building is rectangular in design and of six-course common bond construction. The interior has the original doors and partition walls. At the rear of the building is a contributing ca.1925 one-story frame privy.
"The Thompson Station Bank is a notable exampiLe of an early 20th century rural bank and is significant in the commercial history of the county. After 1900, fanning entered one of its most prosperous eras which lasted until the end of World War I. During these years four rural banks opened in the county which reflected this prosperity. The Thompson Station Bank was one of several commercial enterprises opened in the community in the early 1900s. It is the only remaining historic commercial building in Thompson Station and has not been significantly altered. The Thompson Station Bank.
"The Thompson Station Bank was constructed in 1913 to serve as a bank for the community of Thompson Station. The bank formally opened in 1914 as the Thompson Station Bank and Trust Company with 7,500 in capital stock. Thomas J.(Tobe) Timmons was the bank's first president and served on the Board of Directors. Also on the Board were Dr. A.C. Clayton, William Veevers, John Howard, Clayton Arnold, and Dr. C.B. Alexander.
"From 1914 until 1920 Thompson Station continued to be a strong rail market for grain and livestock. As a rail center the town was the economic center of southern Williamson County. The bank was a symbol of Thompson Station's importance as a commercial center, and its assets grew in these years. After 1920, declining farm prices began to erode the town's commercial base. The growing use of automobiles also made access easier to banks in Franklin and in Spring Hill. Because of these factors the bank continued to lose customers and assets. On April l, 1927, the bank was voluntarily liquidated by the Williamson County Banking and Trust Company.
"Since its closure the bank building has been used primarily as a residence. The only major alterations to the building have been the enclosure of the of windows on the main facade and the addition cf new windows. Other interior and exterior features have been restored during a recent renovation. The Thompson Station Bank played an important role in the community for a number of years and reflects the town's significance as a rail center of the early 20th century."