Davenport Hotel

Also known as: Lancaster House, Evans Lake Tavern, Evans Lake Hotel, Irish Hills Inn, Bauer Manor
1280 US-12, Franklin Township, Michigan

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads:

In 1834 Henry W. Sisson of New York settlement here and built a log tavern, located on Evans Lake where the Chicago Road enters the Irish Hills. The tavern was purchased in 1839 by John Davenport, who owned the property until 1864. During this time the present building was constructed. Known as Lancaster House from 1864 to 1884, the building was later to serve as a general store and a post office. As late as 1900 stagecoaches stopped here regularly.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 4, 2007
Reference number
07000383
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Hotel; Restaurant; Auditorium; Music facility
Current function
Business
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant year
1861
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Tags 

19th Century (37,542)
Built 1861 (219)
Built during 1860s (3,706)
Exotic Revival (7,381)
Have Street View (43,999)
Hotel (2,663)
Lenawee County, Michigan (54)
Michigan (1,920)
Mid 19th Century Revival (7,958)
Private owner (54,396)
Stone (26,161)

Sources