Oconee Station and Richards House

11 mi. N of Walhalla via SC 11 and CR 95, Walhalla, South Carolina

Historic frontier outpost

Photos 

Oconee Station Military Blockhouse Front View

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Oconee Station was erected before 1760 to afford the few settlers nearby a measure of protection against numerous Cherokee Indians in the area. It was the last of three guardhouses built by Lt. Col. Archibald Montgomerie, who commanded English and Scottish troops in ill-starred 1762 attacks on Cherokees. The building marks the farthest point in South Carolina to which white settlers ventured prior to the Revolution, and is believed to have housed British soldiers, at least periodically, until after that war. During the early 1800s the Indians used the building as a trading post. Later it became a storage place for furs, and then a residence. It is a rectilinear fieldstone building with a gable roof, two-foot thick walls, a wooden lean-to porch with four supports in front of the main entrance, and a large central chimney. The adjacent Richards house, constructed in 1805, is believed to be the first brick house built in the northwest corner of the state. It was erected by William Richards, one of three brothers who came to this area as soldiers under Col. Montgomerie, and decided to stay here after the Revolution. During the early nineteenth century the house served as a stagecoach stop. It has two stories and a basement, a fieldstone foundation, and is constructed of handmade brick laid in a combination of English and Flemish bond. Listed in the National Register February 24, 1971. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 24, 1971
Reference number
71000792
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Rail-related
Current function
Hotel
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1750-1799
Significant years
1760; 1805
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • November 8, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"

Sources