Angels Hotel

Main St. at Birds Way, Angels Camp, California

Photo 

Angels Hotel

Photo HABS/HAER 1933, courtesy Library of Congress

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"ANGELS HOTEL - The canvas hotel that C. C. Lake erected here in 1851 was replaced by a one-story wooden structure, and then in 1855 by one of stone - a second story was added in 1857. It was here that Samuel Clemens first heard the yarn that was later to bring him fame as Mark Twain, author of The Jumping Frog of Calaveras County." - California Historic Landmark No.734

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 24, 1972
Reference number
72000220
Area of significance
Literature
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Hotel
Current function
Multiple dwelling
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1856; 1893
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • March 29, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
  • March 27, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Add historical information
  • January 2, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources