Willard Hotel

1401--1409 Pennsylvania Ave., NW., Washington, District of Columbia

Photos 

F STREET FACADE, FROM THE SOUTHEAST

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

The New Willard hotel was designed at the turn of this century by Henry J. Hardenbergh, one of the country's most need hotel architects. It replaced the earlier "Willard Hotel" which had been built c. 1833. The first tow sections of the new hotel, completed in 1901 and 1904, are an adaptation of Beaux Arts eclecticism combined with Second Empire details, applied to a steel frame building. Washington architect, Walter G. Peter, repeated many of the same details when he designed the 1926 F Street addition. Both the original "Willard" and the New Willard hotel have a long history of entertaining Presidents, Vice-Presidents,and other important people. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 15, 1974
Reference number
74002177
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Beaux Arts
Areas of significance
Commerce; Politics/Government; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Hotel
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1900; 1904; 1925

Update Log 

  • May 12, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources