Hotel Redmont

Also known as: Redmont Hotel and Residences, Redmont Hotel, Redmont
2101 Fifth Ave., N, Birmingham, Alabama

The oldest hotel in Birmingham still in use.

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Redmont Hotel and Residences is a 14 story (160 foot, 60 meter) tall, 114-room hotel, residence and conference center located on the corner of 5th Avenue North and 21st Street in Birmingham, Alabama, USA. The Redmont, named after Birmingham's Red Mountain is the oldest hotel in Birmingham still in use. It is currently owned by Bayshore Asset Management of Tampa, Florida and, until recently, was operated as a Crowne Plaza Hotel by InterContinental Hotels Group. The Redmont was opened on May 1, 1925 as a 200-room hotel with plans by architect Geoffry Lloyd Preacher of Atlanta, Georgia. It was unusual at its time for having a private bath attached to every room as well as chilled water and ceiling fans. The "Rainbow Room" lounge debuted in 1937 and became the watering hole for an informal group of influential persons called the "Knothole Gang".

In 1946 the hotel was purchased by businessman and hotel magnate Clifford Stiles. In 1947 Stiles converted the entire top floor into a New York-style penthouse apartment for himself and his family. This elegant penthouse was complete with terraces, private elevator, a lawn for pets and was the scene of many glamorous parties. Some say that Stiles, who died in 1975, still haunts the building. In 1952, singer Hank Williams spent his last night in the Redmont on an uncompleted trip from Montgomery to Charleston, West Virginia. One of the suites earned the moniker "the Lucky Governor's Suite" when it served as the local headquarters for the successful Jim Folsom and George Wallace gubernatorial campaigns of the 1940's, '50's and '60's.

After decades of decline, the hotel was purchased in 1983 by an investment group made up of NBA players, including Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Ralph Sampson. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 27 of that year. A $7 million dollar renovation led to a grand re-opening in 1985. Another refurbishment in 2000 uncovered previously hidden architectural details and cleaned the exterior.

In April 2006 the Redmont's owners announced plans to convert its two uppermost floors into nine one and two bedroom condominiums with another luxury condominium in the penthouse. The condominiums will include hotel services such as housecleaning, valet parking, room service, security and bellhop assistance as well as access to the fitness center. Other plans include adding a coffee bar or doughnut shop at ground level.

The owners also dropped their association with Crowne Plaza and are currently operating the hotel, which will keep 70 to 90 guest rooms, as an independent.

The Redmont has a café (The Redmont Café) and lounge (Above, Birmingham's only Rooftop Bar).

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 27, 1983
Reference number
83002974
Architectural style
American Movement: Chicago
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Hotel
Current function
Hotel
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1925

Update Log 

  • August 10, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • May 25, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources