Hotel Keturah

Main St., McCormick, South Carolina

Historic hotel in McCormick, SC

Photos 

Hotel Keturah

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Hotel Keturah is a two-and-one-half-story brick building constructed ca. 1910 in the Colonial Revival style. The building is situated on a lot on Main Street facing the commercial row and railroad tracks. On the main façade is a one-story frame porch with Doric Tuscan columns. The main entrance features the original frame and glass double doors with sidelights and transom. Adjacent to the entrance is a projecting bay with three two-over-two sash windows. The building features a hipped roof with three prominent exterior chimneys and hipped dormers with two-over-two sash windows. The first Hotel Keturah was built by 1900 on this site. It was a two-story frame structure and stood until 1909, when it burned. The present building was constructed ca. 1910 to accommodate travelers and train passengers. Both hotels were constructed by W.J. Conner, who gave them his wife’s name. During its heyday the Keturah was managed by the Conners and was a favorite stopping point for salesmen and other travelers. The hotel remained in operation for many years until it closed in the 1960s. Listed in the National Register December 12, 1985. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 12, 1985
Reference number
85003345
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Hotel
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
ca. 1910

Update Log 

  • January 23, 2015: New photo from Michael Miller
  • November 7, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"
  • November 7, 2013: New photo from Michael Miller

Sources