Goodwill Plantation

Off US 378, Eastover, South Carolina

Photos 

1858 Carriage House

The Carriage House was used to store the carriages that was used on the plantation.

Photo taken by Grover Rye in February 2009

Video 

GOODWILL PLANTATION PLUS SNOW_0001.wmv

Goodwill Plantation National Register

Video posted by Grover Rye

Play video on YouTube

Map 

Description 

Goodwill Plantation is significant as a substantial portion of a large tract that was developed as a plantation beginning ca. 1795. Goodwill’s extant resources illustrate the many uses made of the plantation through almost two hundred years of changing social and economic conditions. Much of the plantation that became known as Goodwill was consolidated by Daniel Huger by ca. 1795. The earliest extant resources at Goodwill appear to be a millpond and a portion of the canal irrigation system (ca. 1827), one of the first attempts in the state to reclaim low-lying land for agricultural use. A modest, one-story, frame building known as the overseer’s house (ca. 1857) survives from the period of the Hugers. Edward Barnwell Heyward purchased Goodwill in 1858. During the Civil War, Richland County tax records indicate that several of Heyward’s relatives paid taxes on large numbers of slaves, but not on land. Apparently family slaves were sent to Goodwill from the family’s lowcountry plantations to wait out the war. It is estimated that as many as 976 slaves resided at Goodwill during the war. Extant resources from the Heyward’s occupation include a two-and-one-half-story frame mill building (ca. 1857-1870) and two slave cabins (ca. 1858). Other buildings include a blacksmith shop built after the Civil War, the main house constructed sometime in the late nineteenth century and a lodge constructed sometime between 1910 and 1935. Goodwill also contains a carriage house, tenant house, barn and corn crib. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 27, 1986
Reference number
86000528
Areas of significance
Industry; Ethnic Heritage - Black; Architecture; Social History; Agriculture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Processing; Single dwelling; Manufacturing facility; Secondary structure; Storage
Current functions
Hotel; Conservation area
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 10
Contributing structures: 2

Update Log 

  • October 14, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Corrected "Category"
  • August 3, 2011: New video from Grover Rye
  • August 17, 2010: New video from Grover Rye
  • August 15, 2010: New video from Grover Rye
  • August 10, 2010: New photo from Grover Rye

Sources