Ray E. Taylor House

Also known as: Castle,The
900 S. Baker Ave., Whitefish, Montana

Map 

Description 

"After working as a chauffeur for the entrepreneurial Conrad family of Kalispell, Ray E. Taylor moved to Whitefish in the 1920s and operated a bus service between Whitefish and Kalispell for many years. Taylor demonstrated great skill as a vernacular architect and craftsman in this house especially, and in several other Whitefish buildings. He designed “The Castle,” as this home came to be called during construction, and did most of the work himself from 1929 to 1931. The stone work, including interior fireplaces and the exterior skirting, was done by local stone mason C. C. McArthur, a master at his trade, utilizing locally collected stone. Taylor’s design is predominantly Tudor Revival styling, with massive chimneys, steeply pitched roof and cross gables, large end-wall parapets, and crenellated dormers. To support the extensive stone work of the main and upper floor fireplaces and the three-story chimney tower, Taylor ingeniously used a pair of railroad tracks running more than nineteen feet under the tower. The builder lived here only six years, using the first floor and renting the second, before selling the house to Dr. John B. Simons." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 10, 1990
Reference number
90001204
NR name
Taylor, Ray E., House
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Tudor Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Hotel
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant years
1929; 1931

Update Log 

  • August 5, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information

Sources