Also known as: Roosevelt Lofts, Roosevelt Hotel, Roosevelt Royale Hotel200 First Ave., NE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
12 story Colonial Revival brick hotel repurposed as low income housing
Top Floor and Sign
Note the Terra Cotta decor and the finials along the parapet.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2013
+41.97876, -91.6686241°58'44" N, 91°40'07" W
Quadrangle map:Cedar Rapids South
A 12 story Colonial Revival brick hotel in downtown Cedar Rapids that opened as an opulent hotel in 1927. The exterior of the structure features brick clading and features Regency-styled Terra Cotta ornamentation with medallions, garland panels and finials along the parapet. The lobby and public spaces was decorated in Renaissance Revival with marble flooring and luxury details.
The property was undergoing a conversion to hotel and apartment space when it was a victim of the Flood of 2008. After a $14 million renovation, the building reopened in 2012 as a 96 unit apartment building for low income persons. There is commercial space on the first floor.
The Roosevelt Lofts, as it is now known, no longer functions as a hotel and the word "Hotel" has been removed from the rooftop neon sign.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 1, 1991
- Reference number
- Architectural styles
- Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival; Other architectural type; Georgian Revival
- Area of significance
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic functions
- Hotel; Restaurant; Specialty store
- Current functions
- Hotel; Specialty store; Multiple dwelling; Restaurant
- Period of significance
- Significant year
- June 9, 2013: New photo from Dave King
- April 6, 2013: New Street View added by Holly Hayes
- April 6, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added description and added photograph.
- April 6, 2013: New photo from J.R. Manning