Mequon Town Hall and Fire Station Complex

11333 N. Cedarburg Rd., Mequon, Wisconsin

Brick, Art Deco design Town Hall that became City Hall when Mequon incorportated in 1957.

Photos 

Original Main Entrance

The structure was modified in 1996 with a new addition that relocated the main entrance. The Fire Department moved out back in the 1980s to a new firehouse nearby. A very popular swimming pool is just to the north (right) of the building.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Brick, Art Deco design Town Hall that became City Hall when Mequon incorportated in 1957. The Fire Department moved in the mid 1980s to a separate fire house about a quarter mile to the west, and built a second station about 5 miles to the east in a heavily developed area. An addition was put on in 1996, using design and materials to blend in with the extant structure.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 18, 2000
Reference number
00000779
NR name
Moquon Town Hall and Fire Station Complex
Architectural style
Modern Movement: Art Deco
Areas of significance
Architecture; Politics/Government
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
City hall; Fire station; Sport facility
Current functions
City hall; Sport facility
Periods of significance
1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant year
1937
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Non-contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • July 26, 2011: Updated by J.R. Manning: Fixed an annoying typo in the name and added a description.

Sources