Pike, LeRoy F., Memorial Building

Also known as: Pike Memorial Hall, Pike Hall, Cornish Town Hall
17 Maple St., Cornish, Maine

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Criterion A: Politics and Government, Entertainment and Recreation, and Criterion C: Architecture The LeRoy F. Pike Memorial Building was erected in 1925-26 and designed by the Portland firm of John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens. Colonial Revival in style, the well composed frame building features classical elements applied in a manner that elevates, but does not overwhelm, the building’s massing and scale and creates a sense of austerity. The building belongs to the inhabitants of Cornish and serves as both a public auditorium and as the location of the town’s administrative offices. Since its construction, it has also been the site of its annual town meetings and elections. The LeRoy F. Pike Memorial Building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places at the local level of significance in honor of its historic association with governmental functions, and as a public hall with a long history of providing entertainment to the town.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 7, 2007
Reference number
07000010
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Entertainment/Recreation
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
City hall; Auditorium
Current functions
City hall; Auditorium
Periods of significance
1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant years
1925; 1926

Sources