City Hall

Also known as: Old City Hall, Richmond City Hall
Bounded by 10th, Broad, 11th, and Capitol Sts., Richmond, Virginia

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Completed in 1894 from designs by Elijah E. Myers, this was Richmond's first major post-Civil War structure. A prime example of the High Victorian Gothic style, it is noted for the solidity, roughhewn quality and the variety of ornamental gables, dormers, and finials, with a tall corner tower. It served as Richmond's city hall until the 1970s, when a new City Hall was constructed. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 11, 1971

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 1, 1969
Reference number
69000327
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
City hall
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1886; 1894

Update Log 

  • May 4, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources