Columbia City Hall

Also known as: Old United States Court House and Post Office
Main and Laurel Sts., Columbia, South Carolina


Columbia City Hall, Right Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at


Street View 


The Old Court House and Post Office is one of the most impressive buildings in Columbia commanding a prominent position on upper Main Street. Designed in 1870 by Alfred B. Mullett, it is a superb example of Renaissance Revival architecture. In 1865, Mullett was appointed to the office of United States Supervising Architect where he remained for fifteen years. In this capacity he designed post office buildings for the cities of Boston, New York, Philadelphia and others. He also designed the United States Mint Building in San Francisco and the south wing of the Treasury Department in Washington, D.C. The Columbia Post Office is well designed and executed. The smooth beige Fairfield County granite walls contrast with richly carved decorative elements to create a strong three-dimensional effect. The building has housed various functions of national or city government for nearly a hundred years. Inside its walls have operated the court system, postal business, internal revenue services, and, since 1937, the building has contained offices used by the city government. Aside from the State House, it is the oldest government building in Columbia. Listed in the National Register June 19, 1973. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 19, 1973
Reference number
Architectural style
Victorian: Renaissance
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic functions
Courthouse; Post office
Current function
City hall
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1850-1874
Significant years
1870; 1874; 1904

Update Log 

  • October 8, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • October 8, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller