Confederate Park

Also known as: Public Square, Demopolis Town Square
Bounded by Main, Capitol, Walnut, and Washington Sts., Demopolis, Alabama

One of the oldest public squares in the state.

Map 

Description 

Demopolis Town Square, officially known as Confederate Park, is a historic park in the city of Demopolis, Alabama. It is one of the oldest public squares in the state. Demopolis had its beginnings in 1817 with the Vine and Olive Colony and the park was established in 1819. The park covers one city block, bounded by Main, Capitol, Walnut, and Washington Streets. It contains three structures, including the City Administration Building, portions of which were built in 1820, and the old Presbyterian Church dating from 1843. The church served as the Marengo County Courthouse and as a Federal garrison during Reconstruction, following the American Civil War when the county seat was temporarily moved from Linden. The park's center features a large cast iron fountain dating from 1895. The park is often used for the city's festivals, most notably for many of the Christmas on the River events. The park was added to the National Register of Historic Places on 29 November 1975.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 29, 1975
Reference number
75000319
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Victorian
Areas of significance
Community Planning and Development; Landscape Architecture; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Site
Historic functions
Religious structure; Restaurant; City hall; Plaza
Current functions
Fire station; Civic; Government office; Plaza
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1825-1849
Significant years
1819; 1843
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing objects: 1

Update Log 

  • May 26, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources