Franklin Township Hall

218 Gougler Ave., Kent, Ohio

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This building was built in 1839 as an office for the Franklin Land Company. The Land Company went bankrupt before completion and the township took possession and completed it as their meeting hall. In 1859 James A. Garfield was nominated for state senator representing Summit and Portage counties. This was the start of a political career that later took him to the White House. Also in 1859 the bell in the tower was tolled on house for the death of John Brown, the famous abolitionist, who was a resident of Kent (Franklin Mills) from 1835 to 1840. Since then the building was had a wide variety of uses including a school, a playhouse for a local dramatics group, and an office building. In 1940 when it was used as an office building extensive alterations were made. These included a new bell tower, a new entrance, a new basement and the removal of the fireplaces. It is currently used for the administrative offices of the Kent Board of Education. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 10, 1975
Reference number
75001525
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
City hall
Current function
Government office
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1837

Update Log 

  • November 15, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources