City Hall

401 E. Commercial, Anaconda, Montana

Photos 

City Hall

Photo taken by Richard Doody in September 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"Significance: The Anaconda City Hall was designed by Lane and Reber, architects, and constructed in the years 1895-96. $34,000 in bonds were voted by the city for the construction of this building. The contract was given to Jacobson and Company of Anaconda. This three-story brick building consists of three large bays at the west facade with a two-story addition to the east. The Fire Department's Engine House is located at the rear of this structure, while the front portions of the ground and second floors contain a court room, clerk's office and attorney's office. The original plans for City Hall, prepared by Charles Lane, incorporated a 90' semi-enclosed tower housing a four-sided Seth Thomas illuminated clock. A 25' bell tower was later added to the east end of the building. Both towers are now removed. The overall building dimensions measure 53' x 102'; the main building measures 50' x 100'. The basement has 9' high ceilings; the first floor, 14'; and the second floor 13'. Local materials, including Anaconda red pressed brick, monument quarry granite and Anaconda copper trim, were used to build this structure. In 1897, the county seat was moved from the town of Deer Lodge to the City Hall building in Anaconda. Deer Lodge paid the city $2,000 annually to use this facility as the county court house until the present court house was completed in 1900. The City Hall is threatened by demolition due to plans for the future mall development." - Survey number: HABS MT-53-T

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 10, 1979
Reference number
79003722
Architectural style
Victorian
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
City hall
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1895

Update Log 

  • July 3, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
  • May 27, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information
  • September 22, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody

Sources