Alameda City Hall

Santa Clara Ave. and Oak St., Alameda, California

Photos 

West (front) and south elevations

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Alameda City Hall is the major civic landmark remaining from the city's initial period of economic prosperity created by the expansion of the railroad network in the closing decades of the 19th century. Constructed a little over twenty years after the City received its charter in 1872, the building summed up the civic aspirations of the Alameda citizenry. Because the City of Alameda was the first in California and the second in the United States to operate its own power plant, opened in 1886, the City Hall had the benefit of incandescent lighting, a significant luxury. Monumentally conceived by George Percy of the firm Percy and Hamilton, the design reflects the current fashion for the Romanesque Revival Style initiated in this country by Henry Hobson Richardson and used in his famous Allegheny County Courthouse design of 1884-1890. The Alameda City Hall modestly echoes that building in its general format. The firm of Percy & Hamilton designed about 200 buildings in the San Francisco Bay Area including the notable Stanford University Art Museum and the Children's Playhouse in Golden Gate Park. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 14, 1980
Reference number
80000791
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
City hall
Current function
City hall
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1895; 1896

Update Log 

  • January 3, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • April 28, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources