Amberg Town Hall

Grant St., Amberg, Wisconsin

Original Town Hall now part of a block of the Amberg Historical Museum Complex

Photos 

Overview Looking Northwest

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in July 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Warren Buckman established a trading post on the Pike River here in 1883. Settlement followed and the town of Amberg was established in 1890. The town hall built in 1894. The namesake is William Amberg, a Chicago businessman that quarried granite in the area. Some of the quarry equipment is a part of the museum complex.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 20, 1981
Reference number
81000048
Architectural style
Victorian: Queen Anne
Areas of significance
Community Planning and Development; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Correctional facility; Meeting hall; City hall; Fire station
Current functions
Civic; City hall; Clubhouse
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1894

Update Log 

  • August 8, 2015: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Added Description and Added Photos

Sources