Grand Forks City Hall

404 N. 2nd Ave., Grand Forks, North Dakota

Photo 

Main and side elevations 4x5 enlargement from 21/4x21/4 negative

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The City Hall is one of four surviving Classical Revival buildings constructed in Grand Forks, the County seat of Grand Forks County, between 1900-1920. In style and material, the City Hall conforms to Central High School (1917) directly across Second Avenue North which faces Fourth Street, and to the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (Federal Building) across from Central High School facing Fourth Street North, which was designed by James Knox Taylor in 1906. These three buildings represent the "City Beautiful" movement in architecture and form a visual focus to the public area of the Central Business District reflecting the City's regional importance to a vast agricultural hinterland in the Red River Valley at the turn of the century. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 26, 1982
Reference number
82001325
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Beaux Arts
Area of significance
Architecture
Levels of significance
Local; State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
City hall
Current function
City hall
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1911

Update Log 

  • May 17, 2012: Imported photo from HABS/HAER
  • August 14, 2010: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources