Also known as: Kilbourn Lofts2200 W. Kilbourn Ave., Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Former hospital repurposed as an apartment building
Overview Looking North
This was the main building of the Milwaukee Hospital when it moved to a new location. Today, it has been converted to apartments.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in November 2013
+43.04241, -87.9405743°02'33" N, 87°56'26" W
The roots of the Milwaukee Hospital go back to 1863 when the first hospital opened in an old farmhouse on this site. It was established by Reverend William Passavant, the Director of Deaconesses. The hospital was the site of several firsts, including the first X-ray machines in Wisconsin, in 1912. Also in 1912, the current campus began to be built, additions continued to be added until 1985.
In 1995, after mergers and acquisitions, the campus ceased to be a hospital as Sinai-Samaritan consolidated all services at a new facility on North 12th Street. The many institutions that combined to form the modern Sinai-Samaritan included the Milwaukee Hospital, Evangelical Deaconess Hospital, Evangelical Deaconess School of Nursing, Good Samaritan Medical Center, Lutheran Deaconess Motherhouse, the Milwaukee Lutheran Hospital, the Milwaukee Lutheran Hospital School of Nursing, Mount Sinai Hospital, and Mount Sinai Hospital School of Nursing.
The oldest building on this huge campus was converted to apartments in 2005. Other buildings on the campus are also being converted to other uses.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 6, 2006
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Modern Movement
- Area of significance
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; B - Person
- Property type
- Historic functions
- Hospital; Multiple dwelling
- Current functions
- Multiple dwelling; School
- Periods of significance
- 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
- Number of properties
- Contributing buildings: 3
- November 14, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Added Description and Added Photos