Knapp-Wilson House

Also known as: The Farm House
Iowa State University campus, Ames, Iowa

Photos 

Iowa State University, Farm House

1. Photocopy of photograph (from Iowa State University, Department of Agriculture, Slide Collection) Photographer unknown late 19th century SOUTH FRONT

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

The Farm House and its outbuildings were the first structures to be built on the college campus. Although considerably remodeled shortly after the turn of the century, the house is essentially the original structure, residence first of the successive Superintendents of the Farm and later of the Deans of Agriculture. Of these men, Seamen A. Knapp and James F. Wilson were important national figures. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS IA-123)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000339
Areas of significance
Education; Agriculture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Educational related housing
Current function
Research facility
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1861; 1880; 1896

Sources