Mount St. Mary's Academy and Convent

Also known as: Orphanage of the Holy Angels
Church and Chapel Sts., Grass Valley, California

Photos 

Mount St. Mary's Academy

1. Historic American Buildings Survey San Francisco Examiner Library San Francisco, California BUILT 1850's

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"MOUNT SAINT MARY'S CONVENT AND ACADEMY - Built by Reverend Thomas J. Dalton, the Sacred Heart Convent and Holy Angels Orphanage was dedicated May 2, 1865 by Bishop Eugene O'Connell. Under the Sisters of Mercy, it served from 1866 to 1932 as the first orphanage of the Northern Mines. It functioned as an academy from 1868 to 1965 and as a convent from 1866 to 1968." - California Historic Landmark No.855

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 3, 1974
Reference number
74000543
Architectural styles
Victorian: Renaissance; Victorian: Gothic
Area of significance
Education
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Church related residence; Educational related housing
Periods of significance
1950-1974; 1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1925-1949
Significant year
1865

Update Log 

  • March 26, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical info
  • November 6, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources