Waverly House

Also known as: Bremer County Historical Society Museum
402 W. Bremer Ave., Waverly, Iowa

Three-story, red brick structure.

Photos 

South Elevation

Photo taken by J.R. Manning

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The Waverly House was built in 1862-63, it was the first large hotel and stagecoach stop in the area. Currently a museum, the Waverly House displays pioneer artifacts from Bremer County.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 12, 1976
Reference number
76000735
Areas of significance
Commerce; Transportation; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Hotel; Multiple dwelling; Road-related
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1863; 1864

Tags 

19th Century (36,896)
Bremer County, Iowa (12)
Brick (42,460)
Built 1863 (221)
Built during 1860s (3,649)
Hotel (2,492)
Iowa (2,480)
Limestone (8,192)
Owned by local government (11,501)
Residential building (1,543)
Stone (26,162)
Waverly, Iowa (3)

Sources