Furman Institution Faculty Residence
SW of Winnsboro, Winnsboro, South Carolina
Historic college faculty residence in Winnsboro, SC
+34.34826, -81.1225234°20'54" N, 81°07'21" W
Quadrangle map:Winnsboro Mills
Constructed ca. 1837, the Furman Institution Faculty Residence is a two-story, brick building with a hipped roof and end chimneys. The façade has a central, double-leaf entrance flanked on each side by multi-paned modern windows. The second story façade has five multi-paned modern windows. The single story, hip roofed front porch with slender wooden posts was constructed ca. 1936. There is a ca. 1925 kitchen extension on the northwest elevation. The building serves as a visible reminder of the early history of Furman University and its brief establishment in Fairfield County. Furman Institution was established by the Baptist Denomination in South Carolina in 1827 in Edgefield, but was moved to the High Hills of the Santee (now Stateburg) in 1828 because of financial difficulties. When the school was threatened with financial collapse again in 1834, the Reverend Jonathan Davis, chairman of the board of trustees, urged the board to move the school to his native Fairfield County. It wasn’t until 1851 that South Carolina Baptists were able to raise the necessary funds for the removal of the school to Greenville. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1984.
- June 13, 2016: Updated by Michael Miller: Updated "Status" & "NRHP Status"
- September 5, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
- October 31, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"