Nutting Rental

Carbon Ave., Bridger, Montana

Map 

Description 

"One of nine remaining homes on Nutting Row, this foursquare cottage features a hip-roofed main block with ornate dormers with shingles in an imbricate pattern. The design and plan of this 1907 home reflects William B. Nutting’s role in the development of rental housing in Red Lodge. The original front entryway has been replaced with a gable-front wing of Tudor Revival design that features a layered cornice and octagonal multi-light window. A picket fence and curved sidewalk highlight the entrance. From 1907 to 1918 various tenants, including Gunnar Wingard, proprietor of the Wingard Drug Company, occupied the residence. Nutting sold this lot to his son and daughter-in-law, Roy and Mae Nutting, in 1918. Chester Hagen bought the property in 1929. During the 1930s, he hand-dug the basement with the help of some miner friends and completed the garage addition. Hagen owned the property until 1986." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 15, 1987
Reference number
87001245
Area of significance
Exploration/Settlement
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Multiple dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
ca. 1905

Tags 

20th Century (29,076)
Brick (42,462)
Bridger MRA (13)
Bridger, Montana (13)
Built during 1900s (9,406)
Carbon County, Montana (87)
Montana (2,186)
Private owner (54,396)
Residential building (1,585)
Stone (26,160)

Update Log 

  • August 6, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information

Sources