Fort Crawford Military Hospital

Also known as: Museum of Medical Progress
Rice Street and South Beaumont Rd., Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin

Photos 

Overview Looking Southwest

The hospital was a part of the second Fort Crawford. The first Fort Crawford, about a mile and a half north of here (see "Villa Louis") was the site of the first definitive work on the human digestive process. There, Dr. William Beaumont performed experiments with a voyageur named Alexis St. Martin. St. Martin had a bullet wound in his side that never healed, and Dr. Beaumont was able to insert a tube into St. Martin's stomach through a flap that never healed. St. Martin wasn't always so happy about the way he was treated, he even left for awhile but returned so Dr. Beaumont could continue his work.

This hospital, a recreation of the original structure, is located on Beaumont Street in Prairie du Chien.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning May 2012

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The only remaining building of the fort which was the center of Federal authority in the Old Northwest, this structure is a reconstruction of the post hospital originally built c. 1835. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, October 9, 1960

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000121
Area of significance
Health/Medicine
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Site
Historic functions
Hospital; Research facility
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant years
1829; 1833
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • May 6, 2012: New photos from J.R. Manning

Sources