Abo

Also known as: Abo State Monument, San Gregorio de Abo Mission, Abo Pueblo an
3 mi. W of Abo on U.S. 60, Abo, New Mexico

Description 

Abo is the site of a large, unexcavated Pueblo occupied from late prehistoric times into the historic era. Abo typifies the period in which acculturation began in the American Southwest. A large mission church of red sandstone with adobe mortar was built in the 1630s to serve the Tompiros tribe, but by the 1670s the village was deserted because of the increasing strength of the Apache in the area. Ruins of the pueblo and mission are preserved in Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, June 13, 1962

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000497
Areas of significance
Archeology - Aboriginal; Archeology - Non-Aboriginal; Religion
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; D - Information Potential
Property type
Site
Historic functions
Religious structure; Church related residence
Current function
Park
Periods of significance
1650-1699; 1600-1649
Significant years
1629; 1670
Number of properties
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 1