Red Clay Council Ground

13 mi. S of Cleveland on Blue Springs Rd., Cleveland, Tennessee

State park

Photos 

Sign at front of park

Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt in July 2010

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Red Clay State Historic Park is located in southern Bradley County in Cleveland, Tennessee. The park is also listed as an interpretive center along the Trail of Tears. It encompasses 263 acres of land and is located just above the Tennessee-Georgia stateline. The park was the site of the last seat of Cherokee government before the 1838 enforcement of the Indian Removal Act of 1830 by the U.S. military. Eleven general councils were held between 1832 and 1837. The James F. Corn Interpretive Center features exhibits about 19th century Cherokee culture, government, economy, recreation, religion and history. A series of stained glass windows depicts the forced removal of the Cherokee and subsequent Trail of Tears emigration. There is also a video about the Cherokee. Outside there is a replica of a Cherokee farmstead and a Council House.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 14, 1972
Reference number
72001229
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Native American; Military; Politics/Government
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Site
Current function
Unoccupied land
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant years
1827; 1835; 1838

Update Log 

  • July 4, 2010: New photos from Eddie Douthitt

Sources