Also known as: Oxford Furnace #1Belvidere and Washington Aves., Oxford, New Jersey
This charcoal-fired iron furnace was the first to use "hot blast" in America; 1835.
Historic American Buildings Survey, Copy of an old print
Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey
+40.80362, -74.9975340°48'13" N, 74°59'51" W
Several important iron technology innovations were developed at Oxford. In 1835 a heated air blast (hot blast) was first used with success, resulting in savings of fuel and better iron quality. At some earlier time (perhaps as early as 1743) the stone tower to the east of the furnace stack was built, in an experiment using a "water blast." This water blast building is the only known one of its kind. In September, 1842, anthracite coal was mixed with the charcoal fuel successfully.
In 1884 the furnace was blown out for the last time, apparently due to a failure of the inner wall above the north tuyere arch. An unusual feature of the stack is the small entranceway to the right of the south arch, providing access to the back of the furnace.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 6, 1977
- Reference number
- Area of significance
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event
- Property type
- Historic function
- Manufacturing facility
- Current function
- Periods of significance
- 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
- Number of properties
- Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 1
- June 29, 2015: Updated by Chester Gehman: Added photos
- June 29, 2015: Updated by Chester Gehman: Added overview, description.
- July 7, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER