Bradys Bend Iron Company Furnaces
Also known as: Great Western FurnacePA 68, Bradys Bend, PA
East Furnace East Side
Photo taken by Don Whitacre
+40.99948, -79.6238640°59'58" N, 79°37'26" W
Per Sharp & Thomas, this site was the location of one of the largest iron industry plants of the nineteenth century, consisting of four furnaces, forges, and rolling mills. All except two of the stacks were reported to be gone. The fn was also known as the Great Western Iron Works.
The first stack (Great Western No.1) was built in 1840 by Philander Raymond. It was a hot blast coke fn and was 50 feet high with a 14 foot bosh. Capacity was 100 tons per week.
Great Western No.2 was built in 1841 by Philander Raymond. It was a hot blast coke fn and was 50 feet high with a 14 foot bosh. Capacity was 100 tons per week. S&T reported that the relatively poor performance of these two fn resulted in use of the 12 foot bosh as an industry standard.
Great Western No.3 was built in 1843 by Philander Raymond. It was a hot blast coke fn and was 43 feet high with a 11 foot bosh. Capacity was 100 tons per week.
Great Western No.4 was built in 1846 by Philander Raymond. It was a hot blast charcoal fn and was 43 feet high with a 11 foot bosh. Capacity was 60 tons per week.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 11, 1980
- Reference number
- Areas of significance
- Industry; Archeology - Non-Aboriginal; Economics
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; D - Information Potential
- Property type
- Historic function
- Manufacturing facility
- Period of significance
- Significant year
- Number of properties
- Contributing structures: 2
Contributing sites: 1
- March 29, 2017: Updated by Brian Manville: Added photographs and description from another site; added street view.