The Green

SE corner intersection of US Hwy. 21 and Lands End Rd., Frogmore, South Carolina

Photo 

The Green

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Green is an open plot of land near the center of St. Helena Island at a place commonly called the Corner. The Green is significant both historically as the long-established site of community meetings, celebrations, and other gatherings, and for its potential to yield information in historical archaeology. The Green was the site of the first Darrah Hall, an auditorium and community center built ca. 1885 by Penn School. After the hurricane in August 1893 many homeless refugees crowded into the building seeking shelter. They built fires inside the hall, one of these spread and destroyed Darrah. Since that time the Green has continued to serve as a gathering place for the people of St. Helena Island. Such activities as Emancipation Day, celebrating the adoption of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863; the annual Farmersí Fair; and community sings were held all or in part at the Green. Listed in the National Register October 6, 1988. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 6, 1988
Reference number
88001759
NR name
Green, The
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Black; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Site
Historic function
Plaza
Current function
Plaza
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant year
1893

Update Log 

  • August 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • June 17, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • June 17, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources