J.C. Stribling Barn

Also known as: Sleepy Hollow Barn, Stribling-Boone Barn
220 Issaqueena Tr., Clemson, South Carolina


J. C. Striblin Barn, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov



The J. C. Stribling Barn at “Sleepy Hollow,” built ca. 1900 by Jesse Cornelius Stribling (1844-1927) is architecturally significant as an impressive and atypical example of barn design and construction from the turn of the twentieth century. Built into the side of a hill to allow ground-level access to all stories this style of barn is commonly known as a “bank barn.” This form is usually found in New England and the Midwest, but is relatively rare in the Southeast. Additionally its construction of brick rather than weatherboard siding is even more unusual in the region and in South Carolina. The barns high roofline and front entrance gable give the barn a late Victorian period appearance. The jerkinhead-shaped, V-crimp metal-clad roof, with a steeply pitched intersecting gable over the main entry, is supported by eight square wood piers and corresponding timber trusses. 140,000 native red bricks, hand-made on site, were used in its construction and vary in color from terra cotta to dark umber. The late Victorian appearance is enhanced by decorative latticed brickwork found around the windows and in the main entrance gable. Listed in the National Register October 22, 2001. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 22, 2001
Reference number
NR name
Stribling, J.C., Barn
Architectural style
Areas of significance
Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Animal facility
Current function
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949


Barn (1,121)
Brick (42,462)
Clemson, South Carolina (6)
Pickens County, South Carolina (48)
Private owner (54,398)
South Carolina (2,153)
Stone (26,160)
Victorian (19,698)

Update Log 

  • October 3, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Imported Photo
  • October 3, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller